That’s why I...
- Launched Mind The Gap! in 2003
- Launched PositivePolitics! in 2004
- Launched The Norfolk Way in 2007
- And why I continue to drive forward my ongoing campaign for a major government effort to modernise our infrastructure and better spread opportunity – here in the East and nationwide.
This region – and this country – is home to some of the most exciting sectors of fast growing economic innovation in the world, creating new companies, clusters and careers for a new generation, and the science and technology that underpins them.
- Poor infrastructure and connectivity means that areas like Mid Norfolk –in fact much of rural and coastal East Anglia – only 50miles or so from Cambridge – sees very little benefit.
- This means continuing pockets of deprivation and poverty which with better access to jobs and investment would disappear.
- And it means that the overall growth potential (and therefore tax receipts for public services) of our country and region is held back.
This is bonkers.
Having had a career helping found and finance high growth companies in that space – particularly in Biotechnology, MedTech, Agritech and Cleantech – I can see huge opportunities for our area and our country if we can invest in good research, help commercialise it properly and build a more innovative economy better connected to the fastest emerging global export markets.
These high growth sectors – which Norfolk and East Anglia is especially strong in – create jobs and opportunities for everyone – not just “boffins”.
That’s why I have campaigned consistently over the last decade for successive Governments to commit to major investment in these areas.
To see how I am working to deliver on this mission, please do visit some of the other campaign pages on this website and regularly follow my new web-stories, highlighting the work I do on a daily basis both in Westminster and here in Mid Norfolk.