5494 - Mental Illness: Research (Answered)

Dr Poulter
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to the Answer of 24 June 2015 to Question 3297, what funds his Department has provided for child and adolescent mental health and psychiatric research (a) in cash terms, (b) in real terms and (c) as a proportion of the total research and development budget in each year since 2000.

George Freeman

The information requested is not available.

Spend on research funded directly by the Department’s National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) is categorised by Health Research Classification System (HRCS) health categories including ‘mental health’. There are no HRCS health sub-categories such as specific age groups. Further information on HRCS categories can be found on the HRCS website at:


Estimated spend on mental health research reported by National Health Service organisations prior to the establishment of the NIHR was not broken down according to relevance to specific age group.